If you discover a fire…
- Remove anyone in the immediate area and close, don’t lock, all doors as you leave.
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull station to evacuate the building and to notify the Fire Department.
- Call the UCLA Police Department at 911 from any campus phone. Tell them where the fire is and give them any other information they ask for. They will dispatch the Fire Department.
- Attempt to extinguish the fire only if it is safe to do so.
- If there is smoke or heat, stay low. Crawl to the nearest exit if need be.
- Use stairways, NOT elevators!
- Before opening any door, feel it with the back of your hand near the top. If it is hot, do not open it. Use another exit.
If you become trapped, do the following:
- Call UCLA Police at 911 from a campus phone and tell them your exact location and your situation. They will notify the Fire Department by radio.
- Place a blanket or similar article along the bottom of the door to keep smoke out. If possible, wet the material first.
- Retreat. Close as many doors between you and the fire as possible.
- Hang a light-colored material out the window to attract attention of rescue teams below.
Do NOT jump!
Do NOT break open windows!
- If the door is not hot, open it cautiously. Stand behind the door and be prepared to close it quickly if there is excessive smoke.
- Leave the area by the nearest stairway that is clear of smoke.
- Assemble outside in a pre-designated area. Do not re-enter the building until notified to do so by the Fire Department or your warden.